Headteacher Magazine, guide to services and products for UK Schools
A DfE expert panel has announced that Power Maths Key Stage 1, a whole-class maths mastery programme from leading learning company Pearson, is to join the list of recommended textbooks supporting teaching maths in England.
Inspired by best-practice from around the world, Power Maths Key Stage 1 is the only mastery programme fully aligned to White Rose Maths progressions and schemes of learning. It has been written to comprehensively deliver the National Curriculum for KS1 Mathematics, drawing on what works in UK classrooms to support every child's journey to deeper maths understanding.
The Power Maths Key Stage 1 textbooks, practice books and teacher guides are only the second set of resources to be officially certified as delivering a full mastery approach since Nick Gibb, the former School's Minister, announced in 2016 that the mastery approach to maths commonly adopted in South East Asia, is set to become a standard fixture in England's primary schools.
Following their recommendation by an expert panel, the Power Maths Key Stage 1 resources will now be available for match funding as part of the Teaching for Mastery programme. Through this programme, the DfE is providing up to £2,000 match funding for selected schools* to invest in high-quality maths mastery resources.
Tony Staneff, leader of the mastery team at White Rose Maths and Professor Jian Liu, who developed one of the most popular maths textbook programmes in China used by over 20 million children, are among the world-class experts and authors that produced the Pearson resources.
In a bid to break the mould of traditional teaching and learning, Power Maths Key Stage 1 follows an exciting growth mindset and problem solving approach where all children are empowered to succeed by working hard and progress together as a whole class by tackling the same concepts, at the same time.
This approach combines fully embedded and ongoing professional development helping teachers to develop their own subject knowledge and pedagogical practice, with high-quality and immersive textbooks and interactive digital resources supporting teachers to successfully achieve deeper learning and understanding for every child.
Sharon Hague, Senior Vice President, Schools, Pearson, said: "Following a rigorous approval process by the DfE's expert panel, we are delighted that Power Maths Key Stage 1 has joined the list of recommended textbooks supporting the mastery approach.
"We want to make every child a master of maths and we are dedicated to improving the confidence of teachers and children so this becomes a reality for all children. Power Maths Key Stage 1 is designed to spark a curiosity and excitement for maths learning, and equip children with the deep knowledge and skills they need on their maths mastery journey."
Speaking about the impact that Power Maths Key Stage 1 has had in their school in a review, John Dabell, primary teacher, trained Ofsted inspector and Teach Primary reviewer, said: "When schools teach healthy growth mindset mathematics, the outcome is that maths becomes deeper and is filled with more connections, so children enjoy it more and achieve at higher levels. This is the thinking behind Power Maths Key Stage 1, a mastery inspired programme fuelled by a positive 'I can' attitude.
"Power Maths Key Stage 1 includes intellectually demanding and knowledge rich resources with world-class content, ideas and support that combine powerfully to reduce workload. Power Maths Key Stage 1 impresses because it doesn't dilute to taste. It is deliberately consistent and laser-sharp in its focus so that key vocabulary is learnt head-on, backed up with clear explanations."
To support maths co-ordinators, teachers, school leaders and wider education stakeholders to explore current developments in maths education and the growth of the mastery approach in maths, Pearson will be running a series of The Power of Maths roundtable debates with the first event being hosted in June.
For more information on Power Maths Key Stage 1, please visit: www.pearsonprimary.co.uk/powermathsmastery
To register your interest in The Power of Maths roundtable events, visit: www.pearsonprimary.co.uk/pmroundtable
For further information on the list of recommended textbooks supporting teaching for mastery in maths, visit: mathshubs.org.uk
About Power Maths Key Stage 1
• Power Maths Key Stage 1 is the whole-class mastery approach that works for every child
• The new and exciting programme, from learning company Pearson, has been written specifically for UK classrooms by leading mastery experts
• Inspired by best-practice from around the world, Power Maths Key Stage 1 is the only mastery programme fully aligned to White Rose Maths progressions and schemes of learning. It has been written It has been written to comprehensively deliver the National Curriculum for KS1 Mathematics to recognise what works in UK classrooms and support every child's journey to deeper maths understanding
• Following their recommendation by an expert panel, the Power Maths Key Stage 1 resources will now be available as part of the Teaching for Mastery programme. Primary schools that started in the Teaching for Mastery Programme in 2017/18 (this includes schools in primary Teaching for Mastery Work Groups and cohort 3 primary Mastery Specialists) are eligible to claim match-funding from their Maths Hub, up to a maximum of £2000 per school, towards purchasing textbooks by the end of December 2018
• Power Maths Key Stage 1 follows an exciting growth mindset, categorised by the belief that children can learn through effort, persistence, building confidence, trying different strategies and learning from mistakes, and using a problem solving approach. This combination sparks childrens curiosity and excitement for, maths equipping them with deeper understanding of the topic
• Power Maths Key Stage 1 is an approach that cleverly combines interactive teaching tools and resources, rich and quality textbooks and practice books, teacher guides, online toolkit including ˜Power Up!" activities and subject knowledge videos and ongoing professional development
• The programme has been developed by leading maths experts including author and editor, Tony Staneff, leader of the mastery team at White Rose Maths, and series editor, Professor Jian Liu, who developed one of the most popular maths textbook programmes in China, used by over 20 million children
• The Mastery approach to teaching maths uses the maths pedagogical approach from east and south east Asia as its basis. The whole class is taught the same concept, at the same time, with children learning at an appropriate level through support and enrichment. Challenge is offered through higher order questioning and activities that develop deeper understanding, problem solving and reasoning skills
• For further information on Power Maths Key Stage 1, visit www.pearsonprimary.co.uk/powermathsmastery or follow on Twitter at at @PearsonPrimary #powermaths
• Pearson is the world's learning company, with expertise in educational courseware and assessment, and a range of teaching and learning services powered by technology
• Our mission is to help people make progress through access to better learning. We believe that learning opens up opportunities, creating fulfilling careers and better lives
• For more information, visit pearson.com or follow @pearson
* These schools are participating in the Maths Hubs projects (Work Groups) led by Mastery Specialist teachers.
Copyright © 2018. All rights reserved.